Sing and watch the video

Sing and watch the video

martes, 18 de junio de 2013

Reported Speech grammar

1. REPORTED SPEECH
We use Reported Speech when we want to tell somebody what another person has said.



DIRECT SPEECHREPORTED SPEECH
PRESENT SIMPLE
I work in a bank.

PRESENT CONTINUOUS
I'm studying hard.

PRESENT PERFECT
We have bought a new car.

PAST SIMPLE
I invited Tom to the party.
PAST SIMPLE
He said (that) he worked in a bank.

PAST CONTINUOUS
He said (that) he was studying hard.

PAST PERFECT
They said (that) they had bought a new car.

PAST PERFECT
He said (that) he had invited Tom to the party.



Modal Verbs
DIRECT SPEECHREPORTED SPEECH
CAN
I can speak French.

WILL
I'll repair your bike.

MUST / HAVE TO
You must be home at 7:30.

MAY
It may rain.
COULD
He said (that) he could speak French.

WOULD
He said (that) he would repair my bike.

HAD TO
He said (that) I had to be home at 7:30.

MIGHT
He said (that) it might rain.



Other Expressions
DIRECT SPEECHREPORTED SPEECH
THIS

HERE

TODAY

YESTERDAY

TOMORROW

TONIGHT

TOMORROW MORNING

YESTERDAY AFTERNOON


NEXT WEEK/ MONTH /YEAR

LAST WEEK/ MONTH / YEAR


A WEEK/ MONTH / YEAR AGO
THAT

THERE / THAT PLACE

THAT DAY

THE DAY BEFORE

THE NEXT DAY / THE FOLLOWING DAY

THAT NIGHT

THE NEXT / FOLLOWING MORNING

THE PREVIOUS AFTERNOON
THE AFTERNOON BEFORE

THE FOLLOWING/ THE NEXT WEEK/ MONTH / YEAR

THE PREVIOUS WEEK /MONTH /YEAR,
THE WEEK / MONTH / YEAR BEFORE

A WEEK/MONTH / YEAR BEFORE

2. REPORTED QUESTIONS
DIRECT SPEECHREPORTED SPEECH
Where do you live?

Do you work in a hospital?

He asked me where I lived.

He asked me if I worked in a hospital.

3. TELL & SAY
You can say something to somebody

Examples:
"I'm ill" I said to the doctor.
John 
told me that he had been in hospital.


If you say who somebody is talking to, use "tell"

Examples:
Sue told me that you had won a prize.
What did the robber 
tell the police ?


We also use especially "tell and ask" in reported speech for orders and requests

Examples:
The teacher told us to copy all the sentences.
Carol 
asked me not to look at her that way.


Otherwise use "say":

He said (that) his job was interesting.
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Hello kids!