Sing and watch the video

Sing and watch the video

martes, 18 de junio de 2013

Reporter speech grammar II

1. REPORTED SPEECH
We use Reported Speech when we want to tell somebody what another person has said.
  DIRECT SPEECH  REPORTED SPEECH
 - Present Simple: I work in a bank.
 - Present Continuous:
 I'm studying  hard.
 - Present Perfect:
 We have bought a new car.
 - Past Simple:
 I invited Tom to the party.
 - Past Simple: He said (that) he worked in a bank.
 Past Continuous:
 He said (that) he was studying hard.
 - Past Perfect:
 They said (that) they had bought a new car.
 - Past Perfect:
 He said (that) he had invited Tom to the party.
Modal Verbs
  DIRECT SPEECH  REPORTED SPEECH
 - CAN: I can speak French.
 - WILL:
 I'll repair your bike.
 -MUST / HAVE TO:
 You must be home at 7:30.
 - MAY:
 It may rain.
 - COULD: He said (that) he could speak French.
 - WOULD:
 He said (that) he would repair my bike.
 - HAD TO:
 He said (that) I had to be home at 7:30.
 -MIGHT:
 He said (that) it might rain.
Other Expressions:
  DIRECT SPEECH  REPORTED SPEECH
 - THIS - HERE
 - TODAY
 - YESTERDAY
 - TOMORROW
 - TONIGHT
 - TOMORROW MORNING

 - YESTERDAY AFTERNOON

 - NEXT WEEK / MONTH / YEAR
 - LAST WEEK / MONTH / YEAR
 - A WEEK / MONTH / YEAR AGO
 -THAT- THERE / THAT PLACE
 - THAT DAY
 - THE DAY BEFORE
 - THE NEXT DAY / THE FOLLOWING DAY
 - THAT NIGHT
 - THE NEXT MORNING / THE FOLLOWING MORNING
 - THE PREVIOUS AFTERNOON / THE AFTERNOON BEFORE
 - THE FOLLOWING / THE NEXT WEEK / MONTH / YEAR
 - THE PREVIOUS WEEK / MONTH / YEAR, /   THE WEEK / MONTH / YEAR BEFORE
 - A WEEK / MONTH / YEAR BEFORE

2. REPORTED QUESTIONS
  DIRECT SPEECH  REPORTED SPEECH
 - Where do you live? - Do you work in a hospital? - He asked me where I lived. - He asked me if I worked in a hospital.

3. TELL and SAY
- You can say something to somebody:
"I'm ill." I said to the doctor. 
John told me that he had been in hospital.
- If you say who somebody is talking to, use tell:
Sue told me that you had won a prize.
What did the robber tell the police?
- We also use especially tell and ask in reported speech for orders and requests:
The teacher told us to copy all the sentences.
Carol asked me not to look at her.
- Otherwise use say:
He said (that) his job was interesting.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Hello kids!